D 205 350a
clan garden is a classic, strolling, pond-centered
garden featuring rock and land formations. In former times,
seawater was brought in to fill the pond, but it is now fresh water. From 1655 to 1658 this area
was reclaimed and in 1678, came to be used for the residence of
Ôkubo Tadatomo, an official of the ruling Shogunate.
This residence was purchased by the Imperial Household Agency in
1875. After the
Great Kantô Earthquake (1923), fire had consumed all buildings
and trees, the property was given to the City of Tôkyô.