J 225 008
Nijô-jô was originally
1603 as the Kyôto residence of shôgun Tokugawa Ieyasu. It was completed in 1626 by
the third Tokugawa Shôgun Iemitsu, with the addition of some
structures transfered from Fushimi castle.
The main court (honmaru) was
burnt down in 1788,
and the only original part remaining is the second court (ni-no-maru). The present main
built in 1827, is a copy of the one that originally stood in the
grounds of Kyôto Imperial Palace.
The castle is also famous for its many cultural treasures from the Azuchi-Momoyama period.